Sunday, April 11, 2010

Saints.

I am usually very clumsy. So very clumsy that I often get myself into big troubles. For the first time, I experienced this in the UK.

As most of you would've known now, I was called to the scholarship interview by the Middle Temple in London. As I was reaching the coach station in Victoria, I took out the letters to look for directions and tube instructions. Then I read something on the letter: "Please bring your BPTC offer letter and four passport sized photos."

I rummaged through my whole room the night before to look for the photos and as luck would place them; they were in my purse. Clumsiness. But I had totally forgot about the offer letter. I looked at the time, 45 minutes before the interview. I knew that I had a second offer letter in PDF format via email because as an international student, I have to fulfill further requirements. I tried to get online to check for any printing shop near the area but then, I'd disabled the internet on my handphone.

Instead of turning in a complete nervous wreck, I made my way to the Middle Temple. The area is just next to the embankment; meaning no shops. I walked straight into the Temple area, hoping to get into the library but it was closed. I walked uphill, past the main hall and into the lodging and administration offices. I heard someone sneezed and glanced into the window. There sat a man in front of his computer; with a printer on the table as well. I thought of begging him but on another glance, he also had a name plate on the table stating that he's a member of the Inn. I wouldn't want to offend any high-ranking member of the Inn!

I went to the hall, my final resort. I signed my name and asked the security guard for possibly, a printer-ready computer with internet connection. He said of course, and led me into the security office next to the entrance. He turned on internet explorer for me and asked me to use it. He further added that the computer is slightly slow. I thanked him and he left me to it.

I got my letter printed out and he gave me directions to the waiting room. There were 4 persons sitting there. I knew I was the only Asian because when I signed my name; I saw no other Asian names. As I was waiting, two clerks walked in and called out names. Three of them got called off to their respective panels. I was left there with another lady. She looked far more matured than me, possibly a postgraduate. At first, I thought she was a fellow clerk and was sitting in the area to keep an eye on us. Then, the only noise that broke the silence in the room was the pendulum of the old grandfather clock. I wasn't nervous about the interview but definitely was intimidated by the lady. Suddenly she stood up and walked towards me, said: "It's scary to wait, isn't it? I've been waiting for far too long. Oh, I think I came a little too early."

I smiled back at her and replied: "Yes, it's scary. What time is your slot by the way?"

Her slot is 2.15pm while mine is 2.30pm but she told me that there were a few interviewing panels and depending on the attendance, some might be earlier. Afterward, a clerk came in and called out my name.

"Fui Yap. Fui Yap." I walked towards her.
"Fui Yap, did I pronounce your name correctly? By the way, my name is Christa Richmond and please come with me"

I wished the lady good luck before I leave the waiting room and walked with Christa to the interview room. On our way, we walked past some champagne glasses. She told me don't bother, they're for use later; hinting that I will get to use them when I join Middle Temple.

She checked my details and followed me into the room. Then the rest is history.

So there you go, Middle Temple, where I met three friendly persons. Complete strangers but felt like friends to me. I am so thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment