Saturday, October 30, 2010

Replacement, Never Easy.

You know how is it that something you adore and love so much... suddenly disappear and it's so hard to look for a substitute to replace its original place in your heart? That's how I feel when I stumbled upon a new series called Covert Affairs.

I am a BIG fan of Alias. All my high school friends would know that. I have posters of Jennifer Garner posted on my wall in the class. I have a whole section in my book shelves dedicated to Alias; I called it my Alias corner. And it was certainly depressing to hear KT Tunstall talking about Jennifer Garner tripping over her dress in some awards show. Anyways, Covert Affairs bears heavy similarities to the former. It is a spy show, CIA based, starring a strong female character played by Piper Perabo (Coyote Ugly, Lost and Delirious, Imagine Me + You); sorry I can only list the scandalous films that she's been in because she's that scandalous looking.

I am now onto the sixth episode, I've been going slow on this series because every single time I watch it, I think of Alias. The second-third season was the bomb. JJ Abrams, the master of script planned the series 2 years ahead with Sydney losing all her memories and the whole Season 3 worked in flashback and with a new female fatale; Lauren Reed. I wonder how many series in the world can ever play out a storyline like that and lasts for a whole season.

The thing is, TV series in USA is a ticking bomb once a new season begins, irregardless of the fan base that the show has, the plug will be pulled once the ratings drop. Think of my favorite medical drama, Mercy. Damn you NBC!

Anyways, Alias is considered in its maturation period, with the third season starting as a whole new ticking bomb altogether. New time slot in USA, and new storyline. Basically once a series enters its third season it's unlikely for it to pick up new spectators; due to the built-up storyline and the lack of replays in the TV. It's a gamble. And it worked. Alias was renewed for a fourth season and basically the season which Jennifer Garner spotted the best hairstyle. It was also the warmest season showing familial affections and love.

However, BEN AFFLECK, you just have to make someone pregnant don't you. So, ABC announced that Season 5 is going to be the last season and who's sad? ME! ME ME ME!!!

A few years later, say, 5 years later, Covert Affairs emerged. It stars the scandalous Piper, hunky Eric Lively (who's getting replaced, WHAT THE HECK) and Christopher Gorham whom I've adored since Popular. It's different from Alias, of course, but it's a very good show and I recommend it to those who are alien to spy shows. Because it's time for you to get rid of comedic romantic sitcoms off your television.

No comments:

Post a Comment